Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Untitled



I love motorcycles. I've grown up around them my entire life. My uncle (pictured) taught me to ride a dirtbike when I was probably five years old and by the time I was seven or eight I was racing. It was honestly my favorite thing to do and I really planned on being a pro one day. Unfortunately, I couldn't ride often and it went from every weekend to every other weekend to eventually once a summer and now I'm lucky if I get to ride once every few years.

But thats not the point.

The point is, lately a bunch of my friends, some of them very close, have been riding motorcycles (street bikes.) I'll admit that I would absolutely love to have one, and if I did, I would probably ride it all the time. That doesn't change the fact that I realize how incredibly dangerous they are. Every time my friends go riding, I get really worried. Its rediculous, and not something I even like admitting, but its true. I get even more worried when they take my female friends with them...its just doubling the amount of danger. I always got through the nights they were out riding by praying for them and knowing that they were going to be in God's hands, and also by telling myself that my fear for them was irrational.

The last week I got a call from a friend telling me that my neighbor and good friend from freshman year, Bryan Nelson, had been killed while riding a motorcycle. The second I heard it, I could feel my heart sink. Theres no explaination for how you feel when you get news like this. The visitation and funeral were over the weekend. Ever since I heard the news I can't help but constantly think 'what if it were a closer friend?' What if it were Brandon or Dan? I really don't know what I would do if I got another call.

See ya,

Ryan

1 Comments:

At 9/12/2006 05:46:00 PM, Blogger Bethany said...

Let's get big wheels instead and race those. I'm not going to lie to you though, I was pretty fast in my day...you may need some time to consider the magnitude of this decision:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home